2012-10-18

Red Lentil Soup with Bacon and Potatoes




I love red lentils ( I have no idea why they call them red, they’re clearly orange), they  have a delicate subtle flavor and the fact that they are hulled makes them cook really fast. Too bad they don’t keep this amazing orange color after cooking.
I started doing this recipe last winter, it’s an idea from Foodnetwork Magazine. I tried making this recipe both with brown lentils and yellow split peas, yellow split peas are working fine, brown lentils not so much. They have too much of a strong flavor which somehow interfere with the other flavors of the dish. Hope you like it!

Ingredients (5 - 6 servings)

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped dill
2 celery stalks into slices
2 medium carrots into slices
3 medium potatoes quartered
Salt - pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup red lentils soaked in cold water for 15 - 20 minutes
1/2 cup frozen green peas
Greek yogurt and some lemon for serving

How to make

Soak the lentils for 15 minutes in cold water.
Place a pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the bacon with the onion and stir for 1 minute. Add the dill and stir again. Cook for  about 3-4 minutes and add the celery, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir and add 1 cup of the broth. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. 
Add the remaining broth, the drained red lentils and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Add the peas and simmer for another 10 minutes. 
Serve each bowl of soup with a spoonful of
Greek yogurt and a few drops of lemon juice.


Enjoy!!!

12 comments:

  1. I never know there is red lentil! That's so pretty... and your soup looks hearty and delicious. Very comforting, Eri. Perfect for fall season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm....I love lentil soup! I've only used green lentils, but will try your red lentil version soon. Hubby is not a fan, but I don't mind making a soup just for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eri mou this sounds absolutely amazing!! I'm loving the yogurt at the end with the lemon. I adore lentils of all kind, the brown are my go to favorite, but I do have a bag of this in the pantry. Next week it's supposed to be cold again... soup time is in order.
    Thank you so much!!
    Filakia!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Se ve muy sabrosa y muy linda me encantan las sopas ,ayer me regalaron unas lentejas rojas las probaré,abrazos y abrazos amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a delicious way to cook red lentils, I always cook them in curries so it gets boring after a while. Have a nice weekend Eri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Eri,
    What a yummy looking cool weather soup, so colorful and pretty. I'd love to come home to this after work on a cold, rainy day, YUM!
    Thanks for kind, sweet comments this week at The Café :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cooking with red lentils. I usually make a "dal" and rice to go with it. Your soup looks so comforting and would love a big bowl of that! Yummy!!!
    Btw, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That soup looks very nutritious and perfect for the cooler weather. I don't know why they call them red lentils either! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love red lentils too! Yes, it is very funny how the colour turns to yellow once cooked! Your soup looks so delicious with the bacon and potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness you had me at bacon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome blog you've got here! Stumbled upon your recipes & dropping by to say "hi!". I'm following u now at GFC, Pinterest & Twitter (blackswanst) & would love to have u follow me too! Looking fwd to sharing, not just on our cooking :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis