2012-11-06

Chicken Roast with Herbs and Hasselback Potatoes


Another Traditional Greek recipe with a twist (hasselback potatoes).
So delicious yet simple technique and simple ingredients. We all love it, I think it’s just the perfect Sunday dinner meal, gather your family and enjoy!

Ingredients (serves 4 to 6 people)

1 whole chicken about 1 ½ kg
8 to 10 medium potatoes
2 lemons
2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
2 tablespoons butter 
3 cloves garlic, 1 minced and 2 unpeeled just crash them with knife
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon oregano
salt - pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary

How to make

Rinse the chicken and patted dry.
Preheat oven to 380 degrees.
Using a bowl, add the zest of one lemon, margarine, butter, the minced garlic, mustard, oregano, salt and plenty of pepper. Keep aside.
Squeeze and keep the juice of two lemons.
Keep the lemon cups aside.
Peel the potatoes and put the in a bowl full of fresh water.
Using a sharp knife cut scant thick slices across each potato. Have the back of a wooden spoon help you so that you don’t cut the potato all the way through.


Prepare all the potatoes and spread in an oven proof dish cut side up.  
Now, in every squizzed lemon cup add one crushed garlic clove and put the lemon halves inside the chicken belly. Lay the chicken on top of the potatoes. Using your hands mix well the mixture with butter and herbs and rub all over the chicken.



Use some leftover mixture on top of some potatoes. Add the wine, half the lemon juice, Sprinkle some rosemary leaves and cover the pan with lid or foil. Bake for 1 ½ hour, remove foil or lid, turn up the heat to 420, add the remaining lemon juice and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more or until brown. Remove the chicken and set aside to rest covered.


 Turn to broil and continue with the potatoes until they are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Drizzle the food with the natural sauce in the pan, serve with Lemon wedges and Enjoy!



Hugs!

24 comments:

  1. I love hasselback potatoes and these look so good - as does your chicken. What a wonderful family meal xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m so glad you like it Charlie!

      Delete
  2. Me encanta se ve muy delicioso me gustaría probar, abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your chicken is roasted to perfection...so brown and beautiful! And I need to make hasselback potatoes again soon...yours are tempting me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Liz, I love these potatoes!

      Delete
  4. Hi Eri, I love a good roasted chicken and this one looks perfect. I agree this would be a perfect Sunday dinner. Chicken and hasselback potatoes you can't get much better than that. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely treat! Like how u presented the potatoes :)

    Hey dear, come & join my Luxury Haven Giveaway: Win US$75 Shopping Spree At Vitacost!! Good luck & see u there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Shirley and thanks for the heads up

      Delete
  6. Hi Eri,your chicken and potatoes look amazing!!!I always love lots of garlic and oregano on roasts!!I like the idea of lemon cups in the belly of the chicken..XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Eri, your roast chicken is beautifully prepared! I love your trick on garlic in the lemon cup. Those little tricks make the cooking more fun! I have never cooked hasselback too, but as a potato lover, there is no way I'll miss it! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you;ll like it if you try it Nami, we love it! Thank you my friend!

      Delete
  8. I wanted to make hasselback potatoes for a long time already but I dont know what to pair, I think I got the answer now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it sure is a hit Reymund! thank you my friend!

      Delete
  9. Oh wow! That is a perfectly baked chicken! Looks so utterly delicious and your potatoes looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eri this looks beyond amazing! I love lemon chicken, and I really like your addition of mustard. I will be trying this!
    Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m sure you will like it Didi! hugs and Kisses!

      Delete
  11. delicious combination lovely presentation Eri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Akheela for your kind words.

      Delete
  12. Eri, I've made hasselback potatoes but never roasted them WITH a chicken. What a great idea, I bet the flavor is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m sure you;re going to make something magnificent with hasselaback potatoes Chris. Hugs and kisses, thank you for your comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis