2013-06-21

Greek Yogurt Cheese Pies (Kourou Tiropitakia)



Welcome!
Summer is here!
I’m chilling under the sun and I swear I can smell the sea..
Mind games.
I decide that I have the sea within me.
First day of Summer I hope you’re having the fun you deserve.
Today I;m going to give you the best recipe (thus far)  for Greek Cheese Pies (kourou) that I have come up with.
They have the most simple and delicious filling and a healthy, light, crispy yogurt crust that everybody loves. They are suitable even for younger children.

Ingredients (18-22 pies depends on size)
For the dough
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup yoghurt
½ cup cold water
1 egg
salt - pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
For the filling
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup feta cheese crumbled
1 egg
a dash of pepper
1 egg yolk diluted with 1 tablespoon of water to coat
some sesame seeds (optional)

How to make

Using a bowl mix the oil with yogurt, water and egg using a whisk.
In another bowl mix flour with Baking Powder , ½ teaspoon salt and a little pepper (sometimes I add a little turmeric - Curcuma).
Gradually add the flour mixture to the oil and mix with a spoon.
When the dough starts to gather around the spoon leave aside, flour your hands and fold the dough inside the bowl (or on top of a floured surface), adding spoonfulls of flour mixture  until you have a soft dough. Cover with towel and set aside 10 minutes.
In a bowl mix the cream cheese with feta cheese. Add the egg and mix well. Taste and add pepper.
Cut a piece of the dough (size of a small apricot) and press it inside your palms to make a thin dough base. Add a tsp of the filling and close the dough so the little pies look like half moons.
Close them using a fork or fold the ends using your fingers.


If you find it easier you can roll the dough using a rolling pin and using a cup cut circles and make the pies. This way your pies will be all the same size and looking.
I like to do it the other way but I got used to it.
Continue with the rest of the pies and just before baking , brush them with the egg yolk - water mixture. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 C)  degrees.


Have a fun weekend!! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis