2013-06-21

Greek Yogurt Cheese Pies (Kourou Tiropitakia)



Welcome!
Summer is here!
I’m chilling under the sun and I swear I can smell the sea..
Mind games.
I decide that I have the sea within me.
First day of Summer I hope you’re having the fun you deserve.
Today I;m going to give you the best recipe (thus far)  for Greek Cheese Pies (kourou) that I have come up with.
They have the most simple and delicious filling and a healthy, light, crispy yogurt crust that everybody loves. They are suitable even for younger children.

Ingredients (18-22 pies depends on size)
For the dough
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup yoghurt
½ cup cold water
1 egg
salt - pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
For the filling
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup feta cheese crumbled
1 egg
a dash of pepper
1 egg yolk diluted with 1 tablespoon of water to coat
some sesame seeds (optional)

How to make

Using a bowl mix the oil with yogurt, water and egg using a whisk.
In another bowl mix flour with Baking Powder , ½ teaspoon salt and a little pepper (sometimes I add a little turmeric - Curcuma).
Gradually add the flour mixture to the oil and mix with a spoon.
When the dough starts to gather around the spoon leave aside, flour your hands and fold the dough inside the bowl (or on top of a floured surface), adding spoonfulls of flour mixture  until you have a soft dough. Cover with towel and set aside 10 minutes.
In a bowl mix the cream cheese with feta cheese. Add the egg and mix well. Taste and add pepper.
Cut a piece of the dough (size of a small apricot) and press it inside your palms to make a thin dough base. Add a tsp of the filling and close the dough so the little pies look like half moons.
Close them using a fork or fold the ends using your fingers.


If you find it easier you can roll the dough using a rolling pin and using a cup cut circles and make the pies. This way your pies will be all the same size and looking.
I like to do it the other way but I got used to it.
Continue with the rest of the pies and just before baking , brush them with the egg yolk - water mixture. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 C)  degrees.


Have a fun weekend!! 

11 comments:

  1. These look wonderful, they'd be perfect for a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so envious that you are in the middle of summer. It's shocking weather here this weekend with sheet rain (non-stop) and temps much colder than expected. Your little cheese pies look very addictive xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and simple cheesy pies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I could eat a ton of these. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cream cheese and feta cheese filling! I love it! Hope you are having a great summer Eri! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. τέλεια.. και το γιαουρτι... υγιεινό!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really delicious. I am not sure if it reminds me of the beach or not but it does look yummy. Thank you for posting the recipe. I can’t wait to try these.


    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love anything filled with feta cheese. This look so freaking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally got around to making these last weekend. My 3 year old helped and we had a lot of fun. And best of al... They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis